31 januari 2007

James Joyce - Exiles (Act I)

RICHARD(Gently.) Does nothing then in life give you peace? Surely it exists for you somewhere.

BEATRICE If there were convents in our religion perhaps there. At least, I think so at times.

RICHARD(Shakes his head.) No, Miss Justice, not even there. You could not give yourself freely and wholly.

BEATRICE(Looking at him.) I would try.

RICHARD You would try, yes. You were drawn to him as your mind was drawn towards mine. You held back from him. From me, too, in a different way. You cannot give yourself freely and wholly.

BEATRICE(Joins her hands softly.) It is a terribly hard thing to do, Mr Rowan-- to give oneself freely and wholly-- and be happy.

RICHARD But do you feel that happiness is the best, the highest that we can know?

BEATRICE(With fervour.) I wish I could feel it.

1 opmerking:

Anoniem zei

Silvia is niet gelijk aan Beatrice zoals Jan Nachtergaele niet gelijk is aan Werther.

Ciao!